Description of the School
The Science Center School, a start-up affiliated charter school for grades kindergarten through grade five will be located in Exposition Park at the intersection of Exposition and Figueroa Boulevards, in South Los Angeles in Local District G of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Mission of the Science Center School
The mission of the Science Center School is to educate students to be productively involved in a highly technical society by creating a neighborhood school where students learn through active participation in an enriched, organized curriculum that focuses on science, mathematics and the use of technology. The partnership between the California Science Center and the Los Angeles Unified School District will create a model for excellence through the:
- Creation of a unique learning environment for a culturally diverse population that integrates both formal and informal learning and builds the interconnection between classroom experiences and students’ view of the world and life-long learning.
- Involvement of family, community business and industry, and professional organizations to create a comprehensive and integrated system of support for students that build a heightened sense of discovery and nurture self-esteem. Parents will be equipped to provide mentorship, guidance and academic intervention.
Vision Statement of the Science Center School
By the year 2010, the Science Center School will be a national model in elementary education through the innovative use of science, mathematics and technology as the foundation for a rigorous and exciting multidisciplinary learning experience for kindergarten through 5th grade students. This will be achieved through the following:
- Drawing on the dynamic partnership between the California Science Center, the Los Angeles Unified School District, the University of Southern California and other Exposition Park entities • Maintaining strong and effective leadership, along with dedicated and highly-trained teachers and staff
- Establishing school operations and instructional practices that value diverse learning styles and provide rich experiences for all learners
- Modeling collaborative engagement of parents, teachers, and professional staff from the school’s partner organizations
- Designing and implementing an innovative, learner-centered curriculum based on current research, State and National Education Standards
- Researching, developing and advancing best practices for engaging students and parents, training teachers and promoting educational excellence and innovation
- Effectively integrating a wide range of resources through the adjacent Amgen Center for Science Learning
Science Center-Style Learning
The central instructional goal is to integrate a “science center-style approach” with the formal educational methods commonly practiced in schools. Science Center-style learning, which is unique, experiential, active, participatory and uses real specimens (such as objects and artifacts) implies that the formal connections between the Science Center and school are two-way and complimentary. Students will also develop and evaluate exhibits for possible display in the School and Science Center.